America’s favorite sport is back!
And yes, according to the Harris Poll, the NFL is indeed the most popular sport in America for the 30th year running. (wow!)
Unfailingly, The National Football League (NFL) will bring out both the best and unfortunately, the worst of its fans on the field as well as off in a league most commonly known as Fantasy Football, but is football getting the best of our favorite players too?
While Ray Rice’s situation is especially buzz-worthy, there’s a deeper issue that lies beneath the surface of the NFL.
It seems that Ray Rice isn’t the only one with temperament issues..
According to the 2014 NFL’s Fines/Suspensions Tracker, there are a total of 46 players who have been fined and/or suspended from as many as 1- 16 games this season. Though 80% of these infractions involve substance abuse, the other 20% consist of a combination of personal fouls, taunting, and obscene gestures.
How does one obtain a penalty you non-footballers might ask?
Listed below are incidents that have happened this year followed by a definition:
- Peyton Manning fined $8,268 for taunting against the Texans
- Taunting- A form of unsportsmanlike conduct. Includes any “prolonged and premeditated celebrations” by players including those that use props such as the end zone pylon in a touchdown celebration.
Read the rest of this entry »